Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career ?PinaColada - A Double 1KC Attempt

Scratch

Summary: I'll be attempting to get both Andrea Pinamonti and Facundo Colidio to 1000 goals each, at the same time. To do this, I'll be returning to Celtic (scene of my Armstrong 1KC).

Let's take a quick look at the lads:
pinacolada-setup-08.png.46a25b29b3a6041446aeef1cdb70ee6b.png

pinacolada-setup-09.png.07b2abef28f8510f51675f85b2cedb63.png

The scouts don't like them that much though (and it's a bit of a pain that Pinamonti can't shoot from distance):
pinacolada-setup-11.png.f3457a450bf7f9c86bda2b315294cb14.png

pinacolada-setup-12.png.86025bde35f70c912c75101f4f41fa5d.png

And as a bonus, both are starting from 0 goals, so none of this subtracting business. 

Why Celtic?

While part of me wants to try something new, this is going to be a tough challenge. With Celtic being a strong team in a weak league, and with my prior experience with using them in a 1KC, it gives me the best chance to be successful.

Why Pinamonti and Colidio?

For several reasons:

• They are both young compared to Armstrong who was 19 at the start. I don't want to cut it too close this time.
  • I've seen them both develop well in other saves, so I know they have potential, even if I don't know exactly how much talent was bestowed on them in this particular save. 
  • But mostly it's because they came up when I was scouting around for potential strikers, and once I'd seen them I couldn't resist the corny name.

They are both Poachers and both right footed, so they don't complement each other so well, but ... we're doing this!

Why PinaColada?

Because I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
And I'm not into yoga, and I have half a brain

Note: I don't actually like that song much, but may as well go in with both feet now that I've chosen that name... I mean what would you name it?

Why a double 1KC?

I wanted to push the boundaries a little and a double 1KC seemed the logical next step. I know @Ashez has done it before, so it's not a new thing, but still it's pretty rare and no one has tried it on the FMM 2017 EME engine, so I thought it was worth doing. And the deal was sealed when I found strikers that would let me give it a corny name!

What if only one makes it to 1000 goals?

I'll consider that a failure, but I'll still put the striker who made it forward for the leader board. Someone gotta knock that @BatiGoal off top spot!

Configuration etc

I'm using the Enhanced Match Engine and the latest version of FMM 2017 (8.2.1). I had to use the November 2016 database as one of them (can't remember which) doesn't show up in the February database, with just Scotland loaded.

Here's the setup:
pinacolada-setup-01.png.e57a957cc9e7bb214494881bf40d40cf.png

pinacolada-setup-02.png.4b43c093ac8536c1fb56512a42fe71e4.png

Rules

I'll be following all the rules of the 1KC Challenge. In addition, I won't be using Unlockables at all, ie I won't be earning them as part of this career, which would allow me to use them.

With the tactics rule, I'm planning to use 4 2 2 2 (at least to start with) and Attacking Short Mixed. I've used that before and didn't get it from a forum post, but I'm sure it's not unique. I'm not quite sure if that qualifies as 'my own tactics', but if anyone thinks that's a problem, please shout out ASAP!

This is take 2

I actually started a save for this months ago, as soon as I had the idea, but I was busy with other careers so I only played the first 2 weeks, then parked it. When I went back to that save I found I'd lost the screenshots and I'd totally forgotten where I was up to. So I decided to start fresh! 

This time around, it cost a LOT more to buy both of the strikers, but at the same time it's been much easier to sell the existing squad, so I'm actually richer.

Speed

I'm hoping to move faster than the Armstrong career which took about 3 months real time to complete. I'm going to have to stop watching the highlights and power through it (we'll see if I can actually do it). I was also thinking about not going after international jobs to save time, but I'll leave that option open for now.

Outlook

Who knows with these challenges. Armstrong made it after a struggle, so hopefully these two will as well, but I have no idea just how good they are or how they will develop. Are they too good (ie they might want to leave Celtic for a bigger club)? Or are they not good enough?

One thing I do know is that it will be tough for the first few seasons. It will take them some time to grow into their roles and find consistency etc. I have to play them both so they develop as soon as possible, but if they are too green to score goals, we won't be winning many matches and I won't be manager for long.

Anyway, the grand experiment begins. Cheers!
3 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

Back at it again mate, can't wait for this!

Thanks mate! Might have bitten off more than I can chew this time. I'm due for a crash and burn (Armstrong: success, Mitrovic: failure, Vardy: success, PinaColada: ????). Spot the pattern! :)

2 minutes ago, Taff said:

I don't think I'll be able to follow this one mate, it's too stressful to follow your careers :S

Nah this one will be a breeze mate! (or more likely a total crash and burn). 

Haha, I love the name! You'd be amazed at how many of my careers the title came before the save. 

Player wise they both look promising but I am worried you only loaded Scotland, that is always a massive risk as if they want out you're screwed. From my experience it's much harder to keep players in Scotland as the wages can be hard to get sky high unlike Portugal (you can get Porto to 150k+ first window even). Hopefully none of this turns out to be an issue for you :). 

Thanks for the nod but I did it on 2013 so this is a completely different beast, we've not even seen many EME 1kc, never mind a 2k! I like to do a 1kc every year as I've always done one but no player interesting me at all this year :(. Just can't find that player I want to use :@. 

Anyway best of luck and an excellent OP mate :) 

I once started a triple threat that I was planning to post on here. I, as pretty much always, gave up on it after about 4 seasons but i was using Pinamonti, Moise Kean and Colidio. My plan was to call it La Dolce Evita.

Loved the intro as well!

I'm sure you explored different leagues for this challenge but had to go with Scotland and I totally understand. It's a hugantic task ahead of you as it is and despite being advised to avoid your career threads for health-related reasons this just seems to grand to miss. Hope it's worth the risk :)

Best of luck!

Good luck mate, hopefully this double 1KC goes well. Great choice of striker Pinamonti develops great in my current career so hopefully it all goes well. 

20 hours ago, Ashez said:

Haha, I love the name! You'd be amazed at how many of my careers the title came before the save. 

Player wise they both look promising but I am worried you only loaded Scotland, that is always a massive risk as if they want out you're screwed. From my experience it's much harder to keep players in Scotland as the wages can be hard to get sky high unlike Portugal (you can get Porto to 150k+ first window even). Hopefully none of this turns out to be an issue for you :). 

Thanks for the nod but I did it on 2013 so this is a completely different beast, we've not even seen many EME 1kc, never mind a 2k! I like to do a 1kc every year as I've always done one but no player interesting me at all this year :(. Just can't find that player I want to use :@. 

Anyway best of luck and an excellent OP mate :) 

Thanks! I'm a little worried about only loading Scotland now. It feels like there are less players and less staff. In a few years when I'm rich it won't matter, but right now I could use more depth in players, but the level of player I'm looking for is pretty thin.

Not 100% sure it works, but I assumed by not loading a second league, there'd be more quality players across all leagues - so I'd get more cheap Brazilians etc - but hasn't really panned out that way as far as I can tell.

As for the wages, with Armstrong it probably took 7 or so years to hit the £350K p/w bracket. I'm hoping to do it quicker this time. If I can, I think I should be able to give them what they need, by the time they need it, but it is a bit of a risk - especially as I'm not sure it will be as easy to collect money with the latest version of the game. Anyway, I'm prepared for this to be crash and burn... 

Hope you find a player and do a 1KC - I'd love to watch that! :) 

19 hours ago, Joewins said:

I once started a triple threat that I was planning to post on here. I, as pretty much always, gave up on it after about 4 seasons but i was using Pinamonti, Moise Kean and Colidio. My plan was to call it La Dolce Evita.

Oh cool, such a shame you gave up. If you had posted here first, then you'd have to keep going! We would have nagged you! ;)

But anyway, good to know that other people have picked these two strikers - means they must have some promise (beyond leading to good names)! 

19 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Loved the intro as well!

I'm sure you explored different leagues for this challenge but had to go with Scotland and I totally understand. It's a hugantic task ahead of you as it is and despite being advised to avoid your career threads for health-related reasons this just seems to grand to miss. Hope it's worth the risk :)

Best of luck!

Thanks BG, Yeah, I was tempted to go with Holland actually, but in the end, I decided I just didn't know it well enough... At least I know what I'm getting into this time (with the club anyway, not too sure about these strikers yet!).

12 hours ago, samhardy said:

Absolutely no chance. Good luck though :P

Agree with you on that! But going to give it a good go anyway... :)

2 minutes ago, Taff said:

Damn you and your catchy thread names

I've been signing this bloody song for two days now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, what you don't know is that I'm being paid by that singer to make his song popular again! ;)

10 hours ago, Real_Random said:

Good luck mate, hopefully this double 1KC goes well. Great choice of striker Pinamonti develops great in my current career so hopefully it all goes well. 

Thanks mate. I've seen both these strikers turn out well in other saves, but I've never actually played either of them, so it is a bit of an unknown. Fingers crossed! fingers-crossed-24x24.gif.5f5722f03d37df3d0d4e771fccb3ab0b.gif Anyway, we don't want it to be too easy, now do we? 

Update - Season 1

Welcome to season 1! Fair warning: this is going to be a massive update, so you might need to get a drink or something. I'd recommend one of these:
pina-colada.jpg.b166100be15ecc2b7ac3e7de 

Season Targets

Let's look at what we're hoping to achieve this year. 

Players: Young players take some time to get going and I'm not going to have a top notch team around them for some time, so I'm only hoping for 25 goals each. I've mapped out how many goals I want each season (yes, this is going to take a full 20 seasons!):

Spoiler

pinacolada-season01-chart-targets.PNG.6f2d9bc6d46557f7a9f5b761b4e338db.PNG

Team: It's going to take a few seasons to get a really good team in place and playing two green youngsters up front is going to hurt us, so it's not going to be a great season. That said, I'm aiming to win the league and the two domestic cups. As for the Champions League, I don't have any real hopes - we'll be lucky to make it out of the group stages. I do want to start making it further asap, as Scotland is the 23rd league according to Co-efficients and 19th according to Reputation. I need to move that up quickly to keep these players - but it's not going to be this year.
pinacolada-season1-89.png.7042c5210798138d1f1d88aae6dca0dc.png

Board: The board are expecting "great success in every area" this season and have given me £2.3M to achieve it. Right. We won't be winning Europe with that amount... But we'll see what we can do.
pinacolada-setup-07.png.1114f27bad504d5d5e2ddf845783768a.png

While on the subject of the board, they approved of us signing Colidio. I love that we're on the same wave length.
pinacolada-season1-13.png.bcc06dae75f6d7666a0e49481a070016.png

Staff

I always start a career by clearing out any staff who aren't Gold level and replacing them with some who are. This time around I ran into trouble, due the fact that I only loaded Scotland. 

I normally go with a Fitness coach, a Youth coach, a Defensive coach and an Attacking coach. But in this career, I can't get a gold Youth coach - the best I could get is Silver coach with Normal aptitude and he hasn't been able to pass the exam. When I went looking, I found that there are only 2 Youth coaches in the game (in addition to my one): One Silver, one Bronze, both with an Aptitude of Normal. I'm sure this will slow down the development of my guys, but there's nothing I can do except push the coach to take the exam again or fire him and get a general coach or something.

On that note: there are only 20 gold coaches in the game: 3 in Scotland (two at Rangers and one at semi-professional Brechin of all places) and 17 in England. In total, there are only 55 coaches in the game and they are only from Scotland and England. There are NO coaches from anywhere else. Fortunately, I have gold coaches in the areas I want except for Youth.

It's a similar story for the other professions. I managed to get Gold scouts, but had to go with some roles I don't normally use (like Bargain Hunters). I've got two Gold preventative physios, but had to settle for a Bronze Rehabilitation physio. There are 8 Gold and 1 Silver Rehabilitation physios in the game, but they aren't interested in joining us - yet (they will be in a couple of years, they will be...).

Transfers

We really need to upgrade this team. If we stick to the team I inherited, we'd comfortably win most things in Scotland, but we wouldn't have those crushing wins we need and we wouldn't get  anywhere in Europe. Celtic need to be regular European champions if we want to keep these two players as they develop.

The problem is that right now, we don't have enough money or reputation to buy the players we need. We therefore need to do this in stages. We need to cash in on existing players to build our budget, while at the same time a) buying promising youngsters who will grow into the sorts of player we want and b) trying to upgrade, or at least replace, sold players with cheaper alternatives (ideally ones that will increase in value after joining us).

So, that's what we did. Wheeler dealer time!! Warning: we made a LOT of changes.

Spoiler

pinacolada-season01-transfers-out.thumb.png.2e4e8c8cd3c58d7c2c01d100c3870747.png

Yep, we sold 20 players. Some were players who just weren't going to make it, but we sold some stars and some promising youngsters too. Those players would have been very useful for us this season, but they were only good enough to keep Celtic where we are, not drive us forward in Europe. The exception was Dembele - he could have taken us to the next level - but he'd only be a sub behind Pinamonti and Colidia and right now we need the £ more than the backup.

Janko was another big departure. He's a very good player and did well in the first half of the season, but he has injury problems and he struggles in the big matches, so we cashed in on him in January.

Also notable was that we sold Marquez for £4.5M (in January) after picking him up as a free agent and we sold Fabra for £6M (also in January) after buying him for £1.7M. Both were good, but we had alternatives that were equal or better. £8.8M for them? Yes please. We need to hustle to build our budget, so expect more of this. Harry Redknapp has nothing on me...

Spoiler

pinacolada-season01-transfers-in.png.9c86aae6cc7a9e38be1c097f3d38ba70.png

We had 18 players come in. The most notable (apart from Pinamonti and Colidio of course) is Pavon, who develops into a class act. He's still young at this point, but he had a decent season and was our top assist provider and will be even better next year. 

We probably overspent a little on Amavi and Brady, but we needed some options down the left side and they were hard to come by. Both were decent, but in hindsight, I'd probably have not gone ahead with Brady. That's the thing with wheeling and dealing - sometimes you get it wrong. No worries, on the whole, we're winning.

The goalkeeper situation is interesting. I wanted to replace Craig Gordon, but it's hard to find good keepers in our budget. Rajkovic stood out as someone who'd develop into our first choice keeper, but we also picked up Randolph who has very nice attributes. Rajkovic is better according to our coaches and the number of goals let in, but Randolph seems better based on attributes. I guess Randolph has some hidden attributes that hold him back, as I thought he'd be first choice when he came in.

It's probably also worth mentioning Hanley, who develops quite nicely and is our Captain. I seem to buy him in most of my saves. We'll upgrade on him in a year or two, but he's a nice option right now, and it's a bonus that he's Scottish. Soon enough we'll have no Scottish players left. 

The rest are mostly youngsters who will hopefully develop into to very good players. Some will, some won't, but we need to take the chance at this stage while our budget is low. 

To be honest, we almost certainly would have had a better season if we'd just kept the existing squad, but this puts us in a better place for the coming seasons.

Bonus: Here's a weird thing that happened when we sold Dembele, we received £3.7M from a sell-on clause... So, um, we sold Dembele to ourselves first with a sell-on clause, then sold him on to Monaco? Told you I was a wheeler dealer!
pinacolada-setup-10.png.40051974caf133e8a34e261d2fc401cc.png

Training

Not much to mention here. I did what I often do:
  • Defenders: removed Attacking and bumped up Fitness (but I moved wingbacks to General)
  • Attackers: removed Defending and bumped up Fitness
  • Left the rest alone
There's two fringe players complaining about it, but that's acceptable. 

Injuries

Only one injury for us to worry about this year: Colidio out for a month. Could have been worse.
pinacolada-season1-08.png.ec130e1071a652fc2a5193f634df232d.png

Development

Let's take a closer look at our boys.

At the end of the season, they looked like this:
pinacolada-season1-56.png.5b75fcb7ac8ee43d25d8fb1f6de6fdeb.png

pinacolada-season1-61.png.6964a801536515977e407395857fec84.png

I got 3 or 4 messages that Colidio had been making progress in training, but only 1 for Pinomonti, which reflects how they developed over the season pretty well. I'd been expecting Pinamonti to charge ahead, given he's a year older, but it's been Colidio leading the way.
pinacolada-season1-58.png.22335c3fac07d0d87b18c46102236ca9.png

pinacolada-season1-63.png.7c5537150582fd0042c89fa1ea7fabd7.png

Pinamonti is Ambitious which is a bit of a worry. At some point he is going to be wanting to play for the biggest clubs in the world. I just have to make sure that's Celtic. Ideally I'd like to be his Favourite Person, but that hasn't happened yet, despite plenty of praise.
pinacolada-setup-13.png.a80a4001ffc33bc494d7e9318b893096.png

Colidio is Relentless, which is much nicer and I was his Favourite Person by mid-season. He struggled to settle into the team at first, but that only lasted a short while. All good here.
pinacolada-setup-14.png.be3fa680935b88c0937415a840d89ad2.png

Celtic start a few steps below having the best facilities, but we want to get those upgraded as soon as possible. Come January 1, the board indicated that they were finally ready to take my requests seriously. I'll keep hassling them until we have the best facilities in the world.
pinacolada-season1-22.png.9fac95df41cab417e815bbbd07814788.png

Tactics

We started with a 4 2 2 2 formation, with Attacking, Short, Mixed (but we experimented with Direct, Centre, Flanks as well).
pinacolada-season1-99.png.0fca2c15a4c53dad270156277400ab9c.png

This worked okay, but we were constantly on the look out for something better. Here are some of the formations we tried:

Spoiler

pinacolada-season1-17.png.8b7c125e87c68c8322ecb6709d32234e.png

pinacolada-season1-21.png.8198953f01de14fe2a2b09da5d68e67b.png

pinacolada-season1-39.png.5925ca755cd67d7eaeec536ecdea91f4.png

pinacolada-season1-40.png.8aef548ca08727ce2ff9413a799f4717.png

In the final matches of the season we came back to the 4 2 2 2, but I'm still not happy with it. Of course, as we level up, most formations will start working well - but we're a few seasons away from that.

I've got Colidio taking penalties for now, because he's better at converting (surprisingly good for someone so young). This gives him a significant advantage over Pinamonti (maybe 10 goals per seasons), but if Pinamonti is still behind later in his career, I'll switch him to the main penalty taker. By that stage he should be able to convert them better. 

Results

Our form this year was terrible! There were an awful lot of messages like this:
pinacolada-season1-31.png.f439de32b2549514fee7d84e17df50d4.png

Here's the snapshot of our season. I didn't quite meet the team target of winning all domestic competitions, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. 
pinacolada-season1-66.png.c656dc80602ee0e8bf8135d965c15d9c.png

In the League we went 23-13-2. We won it, but were far from impressive with way too many draws and way too few goals: 47 goals for and 18 against. Only one team scored less goals than us: Hamilton who came second last. For a goal scoring challenge, that's quite worrying! 
pinacolada-season1-52.png.4b7c4b88927d13d447e7ab5b7493827f.png

In the Betfred Cup, we needed to go through on penalties (against Raith!) at the Quarter Finals stage. We made it through to the final, where we beat Aberdeen 3-2, with all three goals going to our boys (the first time they combined for 3 goals):
pinacolada-season1-18.png.c7c46c297beadb9b61899ab14f492795.png

We progressed through the Scottish Cup rounds, with one of our biggest wins of the year coming in the Semi Final, where Pinamonti and Colidio both scored braces. 
pinacolada-season1-41.png.8bdf544634c5b3630fd69af700fcbe67.png

However, we lost the Final on penalties to Partick Thistle, with us missing all 5 of our attempts. I need a practice penalties button in the Training screen!
pinacolada-season1-50.png.e3b39235f56edda58c0b69c5265f95a2.png

In Europe, we won the Champions League Playoffs to make it through to the group stages. We went 2-3-1 to just make it out of the group (a win against Dortmund clinching that):
pinacolada-season1-20.png.58a4905dfd521644bd924346aea0a774.png

We went on to face Bayern in the First Knockout Round, where it ended 0-0 on aggregate after extra time in the second leg. Penalties! Rajkovic had already won us a couple of penalty shoot-outs with his awesome saves, so our hopes were high. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Still we gave a better account ourselves than expected, so I'm happy.
pinacolada-season1-36.png.073b6cfb5ee3f4143c3b384cb909b667.png

Awards

We dominated the domestic awards:

• Colidio won Player of the Year, with Hanley runner up.
  • Rajkovic won Young Player of the Year, with Pavon runner up.
  • I won Manager of the Year, despite it being a horrible season. I'll take it.

pinacolada-season1-48.png.67e22b911c552ec2d65609b472a57e7b.png

Teammates

Here is our best team:
pinacolada-season1-53.png.301e6eed5124448f0fa3d2b918e673ed.png

And I won't do this for every update, but here are all those players:

Spoiler

pinacolada-season1-71.png.ce35d73d6d1f5a21767f626a245c949f.png

pinacolada-season1-72.png.514c024b50368560398c4981f869051e.png

pinacolada-season1-73.png.c0fe71af798130ce4c0906918487647b.png

pinacolada-season1-74.png.bc5ee91d3ab070e4aa5dcb87b879a7b6.png

pinacolada-season1-75.png.f42c7ec41b515a0632c054e67cb7d301.png

pinacolada-season1-76.png.63bcb0072dc0daaa1d73375902206515.png

pinacolada-season1-77.png.aeeedb21229721349213a2fcde7c67de.png

pinacolada-season1-78.png.9040b8d4969558ca023c087cdee01da6.png

pinacolada-season1-79.png.e10746691921f3281b475a48addc9959.png

pinacolada-season1-80.png.a6b240a080633abc7fd1f80c1ea556e2.png

pinacolada-season1-81.png.ab675bae9d473ddb3b1f5b4f1a07b675.png

pinacolada-season1-82.png.c47ebdb3f4ca1121eae9bc6109e184b0.png

pinacolada-season1-83.png.38c589a0bb6eb83c3b6d921ff6539c16.png

pinacolada-season1-84.png.c83ce1c782bd09ee9539e5631bc98480.png

pinacolada-season1-85.png.8024f635b43082cd238a4b7706df1d9f.png

pinacolada-season1-86.png.715c280565664c436e89243deea683ae.png

pinacolada-season1-87.png.357a8e13c04fcf76467657e80f6f632b.png

pinacolada-season1-88.png.c1841db8576ab63245122b2b59def02b.png

Goals

This is what's it all about!

Unfortunately I forgot to grab screenshots of their Form until halfway through, but here is what I do have:

Pinamonti was horrible at the beginning and had large dry spells in the middle, but showed signs of life towards the end.
pinacolada-season1-form-pinamonti.png.fe3f7e68155aa5f5ba7e028501ea94e4.png

Colidia was a pretty constant performer although tailed off slightly at the end.
pinacolada-season1-form-colidio.png.eb383e01355719e6bf58a88f7957edde.png

Our first (and only) hat-trick went to Colidio in late January. May there be many many more!
pinacolada-season1-27.png.c3e2685e85c38a6b9a20aba8af5bfcdc.png

Pinamonti only got 15 goals from 60 games and is a bit of a worry at this point - although there's still plenty of time for him to come good yet.
pinacolada-season1-64.png.f70adad385f6f74ff52a20b937d04f82.png

Colidio ended up with 27 goals from 50 games, which was a just above the target and a decent start. Looking promising!
pinacolada-season1-59.png.f13ac79d365300ec99eaa7baff5ea59a.png

It's hard to see that on the chart, but Pinamonti is a fair way below the target line and Colidio is just above it. 
pinacolada-season01-chart.PNG.e4fb47f401f4a104feaefaff6cb3dec5.PNG

Omens

It somehow passed me by up until now but, in an amazing coincidence, both lads were born on the 19th May.
pinacolada-birthday1.png.f276b78f3a179aa1f2b8e5971a1382dd.png

pinacolada-birthday2.thumb.png.fed1d46c976ef78ead17dc17055b9ade.png

Pinamonti is a year older, but they share the same birthday. We had an amazing party for the lads, of course, but I'm thinking that this is a sure sign that the PinaColada partnership is meant to be.

Looking Ahead

With season 1 down, we need to a) continue building the team around our two players and b) hope they level up a bit more. The target for next year is not too ambitious: 35 goals each, but we'll have to play a lot better than we did this year. With such a tight targets each year, we can't afford to get too far behind even though it's early days. The pressure is on already!