Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Simply The Best - A Walter Smith Story

nintchdbpict000004458598.thumb.jpg.5d344860e7df09c04d0bf0fad2fd77d7.jpg

Simply The Best - A Walter Smith Story

BREAKING NEWS:

Walter Smith has been appointed as the manager of Rangers Football Club today. The 69 year old returns to the club for his third spell in management. Smith has watched the club fight their way back to the Scottish Premiership over the last few years and has told BBC Sport: "It's an honour to come back into this famous club. The last few years have been very tough for the club. We now have to make drastic changes to the way we manage this club from top to bottom and I have no doubt we can challenge Celtic to the title this season and the next".

Smith is one of Rangers greatest ever managers boasting a vast array of trophies in his two spells at the Glasgow club. Only time will tell if Walter can take the club back to the top of the Scottish football.

58f3b95f33a87_WALTERSMITHHONOURS.thumb.png.f71f9e041197bca7ff6c98b2e3315124.png

1 hour ago, AndersJ said:

Yeah!! Are Erik Bo Andersen and Brian Laudrup comming too :)?

If only ? I hope I can get similar types of players in the future!

4 hours ago, scottishsim said:

Have you had any joy? played as Rangers and got sacked within 18 months. Tried again and was 5th after 8 games. Going wrong somewhere!! 

@scottishsim I've played a few careers with Rangers, some successful and some not. It's much easier if you load up England as the main playable country as it has a bigger and better player pool.

Backroom staff changes

Walter Smith today announced the changes to his backroom staff, introducing a new assistant manager, first team coach, scouting team and physio team.

IMG_4976.thumb.PNG.fce4723eb7e0b41fbb3cb99d02fee2e5.PNG

IMG_4977.thumb.PNG.b1d64a103ab21351aa169546dbd759ad.PNG

BIG JIG IN AS THE ASSISTANT

IMG_4963.JPG.a5cfc2cafb37d820c8b8d29ea327a483.JPG

Lee McCulloch was today announced as Walter Smith's assistant at Rangers. McCulloch played 209 times for the Glasgow club, captaining them from 2012 to 2015.

McCulloch has been earning his coaching badges over at Kilmarnock since leaving Rangers in 2015, most recently being interim Manager after the departure of Lee Clark.

McCulloch told RangersTV: "I jumped at the chance to work with Walter again, I grew up watching his teams dominate Scottish football. He is someone that I can learn a lot from in this role and develop my skills even further".

"I've been given my responsibilities at the club and I can't wait to get stuck in again! Their are some fantastic players here and I know there are some more to come in".

DE BOER BACK AT IBROX

IMG_4964.JPG.017a7163891f83184cc27e97033d07cc.JPG

Ronald De Boer has joined Rangers Football Club as a first team coach. The former Ajax and Barcelona player will join the coaching staff after being sold Walter Smith's ambitions.

De Boer was linked with the vacant Rangers job after the departure of Mark Warburton. Talking to RangersTV De Boer explained his reasons why he turned the job down:

"Management is a huge responsibility and I don't think I am quite ready for that. Rangers are an enormous club and that brings huge pressures".

"I am confident in my coaching abilities and I will get into into management in my own time. Walter sold me on his ambitions over the next few seasons and it was too good of an offer to turn down".

RANGERS TRANSFERS 2017/18

Rangers Football Club have announced 6 new singings before the start of the Betfred Cup campaign.

Walter Smith has been busy over the last few weeks bringing in some young talent. Today the club announced the arrivals of Chuba Akpom (Arsenal), Luke Amos (Spurs), Vegard Forren (Free Transfer), Gustavo Cuellar (Flamengo), Jon Toral (Arsenal) and Emerson Hyndman (AFC Bournemouth).

Enlight36.thumb.jpg.d658de60c50d4b3d6916f04c2ed53ec2.jpg

Walter Smith told Sky Sports News: "We have brought in some very talented players and they will fit straight into the way we will play this season".

"Loan deals are not ideal but with what we have available, it's the best situation. I want to add some aggression into this side along with a prolific goal scorer, which I believe Chuba will bring to the team".

13 minutes ago, Eogtuc0910 said:

Ronald never managed Ajax or Inter that was Franck de Boer

I've always mixed them both up, it's now been edited. Thanks ??

added 0 minutes later
11 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

Mate, this is actually really hooking! Love the interviews and I'm pumped for Update 1!

Thanks pal, the Betfred Cup update will be coming later today ??

2 hours ago, arobbo92 said:

@scottishsim I've played a few careers with Rangers, some successful and some not. It's much easier if you load up England as the main playable country as it has a bigger and better player pool.

Ok cool thanks for the advice. I do try to get from England but lack of funds stop me. I've just spent all my cash on quitongo from Morton and a few loans / freebies tho they don't match yours which is a bit worrying lol. 

BETFRED CUP/ PRE-SEASON UPDATE

IMG_4975.JPG.a7284baab4e60d5b4af65daa98cd8fc4.JPG

Rangers opponents in Group A of the Betfred Cup were Dundee, Albion Rovers, Elgin City and Berwick Rangers.

Walter Smith voiced concerns over the early competitive fixtures, stating it is not the ideal way to prepare for the season ahead. 

Saturday 16th July 2016

Dundee vs RANGERS

IMG_4970.thumb.PNG.794e52e8dea28e7ddd8c3e9199463b63.PNG

Dundee tested the side in the opening game of the Betfred Cup. Dundee had a goal disallowed in the first half. Barrie McKay opened the scoring for Rangers in the 72nd minute with Craig Wighton equalising in the 90th minute.

Due to new rules, following a draw, the match ends with a penalty shootout with the winning team earning a bonus point. 

Rangers scored all three of their spot kicks with Wes Foderingham saving all three of Dundee's, earning Rangers the first bonus point in Betfred Cup history.

Saturday 23rd July 2016

RANGERS vs Berwick Rangers

IMG_4971.thumb.PNG.a3bde67e58f4b8b39e3ca522f82ca866.PNG

Ibrox welcomed back the legendary Walter Smith in their Betfred Cup fixture against Berwick Rangers.

The Premiership side, much changed from the Dundee game, were far too strong for Berwick. Rangers hit six with a hat trick from debutant Chuba Akpom. 

Wednesday 27th July 2016

Elgin City vs RANGERS

IMG_4972.thumb.PNG.7f2b30d1755f4d9d2fd180e34358125f.PNG

Rangers came up against Elgin City in Group A of the Betfred Cup. 

Again, Rangers were too strong for the opposition putting 6 past the opposition. Harry Forrester started his first game for Walter Smith and rewarded his boss with 4 goals. Jon Toral also scored his first goal for the club.

Saturday 30th July 2016

RANGERS vs Albion Rovers

IMG_4973.thumb.PNG.29a2a5aaecc528f4906b2cc08cc52f2d.PNG

Rangers hosted Albion Rovers in the final game of the Betfred Cup group stage.

Rovers were not match for the dominant Rangers side, with the away side only having one shot all game.

The Ibrox club won the game 3-0 with goals coming from Jason Holt and on loan striker Chuba Akpom

Second Round Draw

Rangers have been drawn against Falkirk in the second round of the Betfred Cup, the tie will be played on Tuesday 9th August 2016.

IMG_4974.thumb.PNG.40b92e1a9ace9ee4bb9f15679b31d95e.PNG

6 minutes ago, scottishsim said:

Ok cool thanks for the advice. I do try to get from England but lack of funds stop me. I've just spent all my cash on quitongo from Morton and a few loans / freebies tho they don't match yours which is a bit worrying lol. 

It's very difficult with the budget over the first two seasons. Loan signings is definitely the way to go, Quitonog turns into a very good player too. 

Performing in Europe is where your budget will increase, but you may have to sell a few players after the first season if you want a small amount to play with.

added 0 minutes later
7 minutes ago, scottishsim said:

Good commentary by the way!

Thank you I really appreciate it ??

_95133377_king.jpg.cd37c951f90e13916fa3315081831f21.jpg\

Rangers chairman Dave King will attend the clubs first game of the season against Hamilton. King has come under criticism from the clubs fans for not attending home games. King, who lives in South Africa told TalkSport: "There has been an issue with me not attending home games. I have a team who look after the club, which ensures I can stay in South Africa. Unless the club relocate, I will continue to watch matches on RangersTV".

"I am out here to meet with Walter and his backroom team, we will talk about what is expected of them this season. I will then by flying home on Sunday afternoon".

58f50131a93c5_RANGERSHOMELEAGUEGAMES.thumb.png.445fd9e005f9a0fb614ed3765c4c5795.png

Saturday 6th August 2016

RANGERS vs Hamilton

Rangers hosted Hamilton in the first match of the 2016/17 Scottish Premiership season. Ibrox was out in force to cheer on Walter Smith's side. 

The match was dominated by Rangers, who controlled the midfield with ease. Rangers however could not finish their changes today, having a total of 16 shots, with 3 on target. Attacking midfielder Harry Forrester picked up the man of the match award, having created many of the chances in today's game.

IMG_4980.thumb.PNG.4e26ab5666b3e87eed47c5a1628f7e16.PNG

IMG_4981.thumb.PNG.78b9a1946b38469a13cedf1e0f05f0db.PNG

AUGUST UPDATE

IMG_4984.thumb.PNG.1aea26ad1fa0f9b65f3fc8065d47a721.PNG

Rangers are unbeaten in the league so far this season. The Gers should have beaten Kilmarnock however a mistake by Danny Wilson in the 90th minute, gifted them a share of the points.

Harry Forrester is Rangers player of the month. The English midfielder has been excellent so far pitching in with 6 goals and 4 assists.

IMG_4983.thumb.PNG.8b41ce5adf85cf90ba14be2e9750b2ab.PNG

Chuba Akpom is leading the way with 11 goals so far the season, closely followed by Harry Forrester and Emerson Hyndman. Barrie McKay has provided the most assists so far this season with 8, followed by Harry Forrester and again Emerson Hyndman.

20 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Going great so far mate, where are you in the league?

@mcandrew003 we are currently 2nd, next match is against Celtic!!

added 0 minutes later
12 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Looking great and nice to see Rangers on the up again. Loving this!

Thank you @BatiGoal I really appreciate it ??

6 minutes ago, scottishsim said:

Do players stats change ever so slightly every time you start a new game? Forrester can't even get on my bench but hes running riot for you! 

I believe that they can. Here is a screenshot of my Forrester, compare him with yours and let me know if there any differences? I'm currently playing him wide left set as a winger.

IMG_4993.thumb.PNG.1c1ae91e9dbfb8d943e279dba85fa4a6.PNG

Exclusive Interview with the Player of the Month

Harry Forrester 

IMG_4994.thumb.JPG.0ef32cebfde111e4b00ab0326ec3bf6f.JPG

RangersTV: Harry, congratulations on being Rangers Player of the Month. How do you feel your recent performances have gone?

Harry Forrester: I'm improving every single game and really enjoying my football at the moment. I'm being played in my favourite position, where I believe I can make a bigger impact on matches.

RangersTV: What impact has Walter Smith had on the current playing squad since being appointed this summer?

Harry Forrester: Walter has come in and changed everything around the club, and it's really lifted a lot of the players. He's knows this club back to front and it really shows in his approach.

RangersTV: What's the biggest change that Walter Smith has made to impact your development as a player? 

Harry Forrester: It has to be bringing in Ronald De Boer. He's one of my biggest footballing icons and he's great at spending time, one on one with players on the training ground. I can see my self improving a lot under his coaching.

RangersTV: Walter has brought in a few players this summer. Who do you see having the biggest say on Rangers season? 

Harry Forrester: It's between Chuba Akpom and Emerson Hyndman. Chuba has bagged 11 goals for us the season already and I can see him being stopped. Emerson is so good creatively, he's so confident on the ball and provides us forwards with the chances in front of goal.

RangersTV: Next up is the first Old Firm game of the season. What are you feelings like ahead of such a big game?

Harry Forrester: I look forward to these games as much as any other game. I thrive on pressure and that's where my best performance come. We are well prepared and ready for the fight.

RangersTV: Can we get a score prediction for the game?

Harry Forrester: I don't do predictions but I sense it will be a close game. We are in form so anything can happen.

oldfirm.jpg.e50cbc98b7a8b8e169181a1c73964a27.jpg

OLD FIRM BUILD UP

Rangers play fierce rivals Celtic on Saturday 10th September 2016 for the first time in the league since April 2012. In their last meeting at Celtic Park, Rangers lost the game 3-0. The club have only met twice since that last league game, once in the League Cup and again in last years Scottish Cup Semi-final thriller.

Walter Smith spoke to Sky Sports News ahead of Saturdays huge game:

Reporter: Saturday sees Rangers play at Celtic Park for the first time since 2012. How do you prepare for such a big game like this?

Walter Smith: We simply have to put the work in on the training pitch, we have to match Celtic both tactically and aggressively. The lads are really up for this game and we have to go out there and prove we can match Celtic this season.

Reporter: Brendan Rodgers says that Celtic are too strong for any team in Scotland, what are your thoughts on his comments?

Walter Smith: They have some good players, many of them can cause any team problems. Brendan has a reputation that can lure in these types of players. I strongly believe that we can challenge Celtic this season and Saturdays match will prove this.

Reporter: There has been much speculation in the media that the Rangers squad is to young and inexperienced to handle the likes of Celtic. How do you motivate your players for this match?

Walter Smith: In these types of games players are already motivated. Even the lads that are making their Old Firm debuts know about the fixture and have gained the knowledge from just living here for two months. My team may be young but they are certainly up for the challenge.

Reporter: You seem confident about your teams chances this season, where do you see your Rangers side finishing this season?

Walter Smith: Why wouldn't I be confident, I have some great players! I see us challenging for the title and nothing else. We have a tradition for winning and thats the Rangers way, we will settle for nothing else.

108154685_01_305728c.jpg.674087b8aea9c9e3876f9b7e3ec9b00c.jpg