Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Top Football Manager Cup

4 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Thanks mate! One thing I know for sure, it won't be me :) Maybe next time someone else hosts so I can join the fun. Even if it lasts only 1 round lol

That's a great idea mate. I'm sure there will be a few people that would want to take on that task :)

7 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

@BatiGoal your only hosting to give us mere mortals a better chance, well until I picked the wrong player :'(

Exactly.. it's very easy to crumble under pressure. :)

9 minutes ago, arobbo92 said:

That's a great idea mate. I'm sure there will be a few people that would want to take on that task :)

A different take on things.. New ideas.. Fresh perspectives.. I think rotating hosts is the way to go tbh.

Top Football Manager Cup 2017

- Round Three -

TFMcupR3mtf.png

- The Results -

This one's been the most enjoyable one for me to play thus far. Round 1 brought us 2 formations and it was fun experimenting with. Round 2 set up a CD duo battle which was also great fun to test out, but this Falkenburg Vs Vela was really a lovely little "mini challenge" for me because they were great in different ways. Falkenburg the consistent all-rounder Vs Vela the selfish match-winner. In reality..In FMM reality I should say.. things didn't come out entirely as I expected. Which is good in one way since it keeps us guessing but these players were very evenly matched up until about December, with 5-6 or so games left. There was only a single point..assist..difference between these APs but December and January, the last handful of games out of 23, brought us the winner of Round 3. Honeslty, my personal picks for Round 1 and 2 were correct but if I'd joined this Cup I would've been out after this round. "my guy" lost this round which is slightly surprising to me ..well maybe he would've won after a full season :) let's have a look..

Player A - Erik Falkenburg

Spoiler

TFMr3ResultsPA1.png

TFMr3ResultsPA2.png

Player B - Carlos Vela

Spoiler

TFMr3ResultsPB1.png

TFMr3ResultsPB2.png

Conclusion

Spoiler

TFMr3ResultsAB.png

There you have it. Winner: Player B - Carlos Vela.

Vela's Teamwork attr. even dropped to 6 but eventho it makes me wonder if this attr. makes sense at all lol, I'm pretty sure it was Vela's top greens in Creativity, Passing and others that got him the win on the day. Falkenburg has improved as well over this half a season but he did not stand out. He kinda did what we expected him to do, being consistent, altho his performances dropped slightly towards the end of the calendar year. Vela the opposite, we expected him to excel certain games, but also to be invisible certain matches, those games were few and far between tho. And Dec-Jan saw him give an extra 3 assists to Lacazette to put Falkenburg in his place and nick the win. I'm actually impressed with Vela. Of course we know he's brutal on the flank but as an AP he's been very impressing. He may be labelled a selfish player but it certainly doesn't mean that he won't play for the team at times. In fact..I believe every team "needs" a couple of these selfish players because they are unpredictable and can win you games.

As for the team stats up till that point (half a season).

• Falkenburg's Lyon finished 2nd with 49pts (15W-4D-2L) and a GD of +18.
  • Vela's Lyon finished also 2nd with 44pts (12W-8D-1L) and a GD of +17.

A small advantage for Falkenburg in this case. This challenge was all about providing assists to our main striker -despite Lacazette scoring more in Falkenburg's Lyon- Vela clearly played a bigger role in Lacazette's 29gls than Falkenburg did in Lacazette's 31gls. We therefore have a deserved winner in Carlos Vela. Big Congrats to AndersJ and Jens for getting a 3rd correct answer. These two finalists are going to battle it out for the Top Football Manager Cup 2017 !! See you soon!

Massive congrats to our winners. You deserve it guys. Losers, thanks big for taking the time to join and hope to see you next Cup.

Damn if only I'd of got through the last round, Vela was my pick as soon as I seen this one. Good luck to the finalists.

3 minutes ago, Mikee1984 said:

Damn if only I'd of got through the last round, Vela was my pick as soon as I seen this one. Good luck to the finalists.

It's the first time I'm running this Cup so I opted for a simple Knock-Out as I wasn't sure if people would enjoy it. Maybe next time we can do a league format of say 10 Rounds. Maybe more fun for all.

36 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

It's the first time I'm running this Cup so I opted for a simple Knock-Out as I wasn't sure if people would enjoy it. Maybe next time we can do a league format of say 10 Rounds. Maybe more fun for all.

Mate it's super enjoyable as I'm sure everyone who's took part would agree. If you've got the time to set up a league version of this in the future I'd be well up for it..

Excellent work from the man Vela, I have a soft spot for him from playing PES (too) many years ago. 

Good luck in the final you two. It'll be interesting to see how you make sure you differentiate between the two Bati, a straight A&B choice won't work unless they pick one each, and to force that would seem a bit harsh on the person who picked second. Will you go for a nearest the bull style question or will you set a scenario, ask them to come up with a solution and play it out? 

I like the idea of rotating hosts too, I vote @mcandrew003, he definitely doesn't have enough on his plate atm! :D 

16 minutes ago, Idol said:

Excellent work from the man Vela, I have a soft spot for him from playing PES (too) many years ago. 

Good luck in the final you two. It'll be interesting to see how you make sure you differentiate between the two Bati, a straight A&B choice won't work unless they pick one each, and to force that would seem a bit harsh on the person who picked second. Will you go for a nearest the bull style question or will you set a scenario, ask them to come up with a solution and play it out? 

I like the idea of rotating hosts too, I vote @mcandrew003, he definitely doesn't have enough on his plate atm! :D 

My thoughts Excatly, wonder how this will plan out ?

The idea for every round was to create a scenario where you guys pick A or B. With only two left my idea was to continue to do so and only play it out if each manager picks a different option. So we could well be into our 4th or 5th scenario before we get a winner.

But I'm leaning more to the alternative I have in mind in order to avoid what I just wrote. Could become a mess if we keep getting the same picks. I'll post more on that tonight. :)

59 minutes ago, Idol said:

Read more  

Yep, totally have spare time :laugh: 

Well done lads, good luck in the final!

Ah gutted. Well done to the correct pickers though. Usually would have gone for the guy with the greens over the solid all rounder (think I may do in game from now on too!) but went for the safe option instead. Oh well.

Thanks for the competition though @BatiGoal and looking forward to the final.

Dang, I dared to dream... Next time!

If you can, you should run these saves one more time (or two) to see if this was a fluke. The individual results don't make much sense to me given our basic assumption about how teamwork and selfish are supposed to work. There's little doubt Vela is the better player so maybe those greens were enough to cover for the selfish stats. 

6 hours ago, veerus said:

Dang, I dared to dream... Next time!

If you can, you should run these saves one more time (or two) to see if this was a fluke. The individual results don't make much sense to me given our basic assumption about how teamwork and selfish are supposed to work. There's little doubt Vela is the better player so maybe those greens were enough to cover for the selfish stats. 

It is interesting that the Vela team as a whole did less well and Lacazette scored less. Also Vela scored more. I wonder if this shows the selfishness stat at work in a wider picture?

4 minutes ago, Thepremiermanager said:

It is interesting that the Vela team as a whole did less well and Lacazette scored less. Also Vela scored more. I wonder if this shows the selfishness stat at work in a wider picture?

Interesting yes, it could be one sign of it !

2 minutes ago, Thepremiermanager said:

Maybe we could conclude Vela took goals away from Lacazette? But because he's such a quality player he made up for it in other areas. In my opinion Carlos Vela isn't the ideal AP for a 1KC but he is better than Falkenburg. And in a regular team he's a great add too but there are better APs out there for 1KCs.

One of the finalists hasn't reported himself yet :) so I'll post an update on the final once he acknowledges the current state of affairs. Once we got them both onboard I'll briefly explain the procedure onwards. If not, well, then we got ourselves a winner already :D

15 minutes ago, Thepremiermanager said:

That was my thinking as well. As I PM'd to BG with my prediction, I expected Vela to get more G+A but lose on the raw assist totals. 

@BatiGoal can you post total goals scored by the two teams? I wonder which team scored more as a whole. It could be that the Vela team just got unlucky in game results by allowing a few ill-timed goals. 

58 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

Maybe we could conclude Vela took goals away from Lacazette? But because he's such a quality player he made up for it in other areas. In my opinion Carlos Vela isn't the ideal AP for a 1KC but he is better than Falkenburg. And in a regular team he's a great add too but there are better APs out there for 1KCs.

One of the finalists hasn't reported himself yet :) so I'll post an update on the final once he acknowledges the current state of affairs. Once we got them both onboard I'll briefly explain the procedure onwards. If not, well, then we got ourselves a winner already :D

Did i miss something :)?

I know I should be modest, but I'm not surprised I made it to the final. I've been playing this game for far too long not to know what will work. Nevertheless I'm absolutely delighted I got here, seeing it was AndersJ and myself vs the world. Looking forward to what the final brings. To the losers: thanks for playing and better luck next time ?

6 hours ago, veerus said:

BatiGoal can you post total goals scored by the two teams? I wonder which team scored more as a whole. It could be that the Vela team just got unlucky in game results by allowing a few ill-timed goals.

Read more  

Falkenburg Lyon

• GF 32 - GA 14 - GD +18

Vela Lyon

• GF 37 - GA 20 - GD +17

2 hours ago, samhardy said:

That last one was so obvious people talked themselves out of it!

Oh shut up, you would've been sent packing after round 1 :P

@AndersJ @Jens

This is how we're going to do it. For the final round I'm going to present the usual scenario with an A or B option. If we get different picks we proceed as usual and a winner is declared after I post the results.

However, if the two of you pick the same option I'll switch to an alternative scenario where I will need some info from you (via PM) before playing it out. Hope that clears it up. Goodluck guys!

Final round coming up..

1 hour ago, AndersJ said:

I cant wait - ?

You can't? Oh.. that means you're a no show for the final? Jens wins automatically then ;)