Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Pressing or No Pressing? When to use..

Got a successful tactic going at the moment with Milan. I've automatically got pressing on but been tinkering with it on and off. Think I've noticed in the big games or tough away games where I've had this off, I seem to do well if not better. 

Just wondered when should I be using pressing etc?

Hi @mikeyboy11 slightly off topic but I play with pressing / counter / short passing and in most games it works really well, but in some games which is nearly always when I am not the favourite for the game, I get beaten easily...  so I thought like you in tougher games I should remove the pressing and try and be more compact, but it doesnt seem to work.

I wondered if I should also change my passing to direct...  so I wondered what your passing type was in the games where you dont press but do ok.

15 minutes ago, Ed said:

Hi @mikeyboy11 slightly off topic but I play with pressing / counter / short passing and in most games it works really well, but in some games which is nearly always when I am not the favourite for the game, I get beaten easily...  so I thought like you in tougher games I should remove the pressing and try and be more compact, but it doesnt seem to work.

I wondered if I should also change my passing to direct...  so I wondered what your passing type was in the games where you dont press but do ok.

Hi, it's mainly short passing 

Ah ok, see my tactic works better when I counter and press, then once I am winning (maybe at half time) remove the pressing, if I do it before the game it rarely works!

I have pressing on at all times, whenever I've tried not pressing I get dominated due to inviting pressure not closing down

Pressing makes your players tired more so don't do it if you have a ton of matches coming up and not enough reserve players to fill in.

Pressing is also not as effective if you're the weaker team than the opponent because then they can just pass through you.  

I don't have any hard evidence on this but I think direct passing counters pressing.  And pressing is effective against short passing.  Since the AI often plays with mixed passing, this is only relevant for when the AI has pressing enabled so you can adjust your tactics.

Direct passing works relatively well in general if you're the underdog.  Since you're likely to lose the ball often than you'd like, getting it to to the opponent's goal area as fast as possible is the best route to victory.

And always play with counter-attack on.  Always.

On 5/5/2017 at 08:51, veerus said:

I don't have any hard evidence on this but I think direct passing counters pressing.

Works well for me too. I use it when managing smaller teams. And if I have speedy players on the flanks I throw in the 'via flanks passing focus'.

On 5/5/2017 at 08:51, veerus said:

And pressing is effective against short passing.

Very effective ;) but it does come with negatives as you mentioned, tiring quickly, and also players not holding position which opens up space for clever opponents.

I always have pressing on, never had it off. I'd imagine it is a must have aginst larger teams as if your players aren't going out to meet the attacker, they will go straight through on goal. I find it is useful to have on even against small teams, as it pressures the players into decisions and can lead to big wins.