Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poll Using older players to fill backroom staff positions

Do you fill your backroom with older players  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fill backroom staff positions with older players

Just a question about how you guys fill your backroom positions...

Depending on the club I am with and what facilities they have, I sometimes like to fill out my backroom positions with older players, in my last couple of saves I have singled out players like John Terry and Lee Cattermole, in Cattermole's case, going as far as bringing him in around the 30yo point, making him captain and building him up to eventually become assistant manager when he hits 35-36.

I find, moreso in the lower leagues, using older players in your squad to fill such positions can be prove invaluable, as you normally have to pay compo to take staff already employed elsewhere if there are no interested unemployed candidates to fill said position.

So guys, what do you do to fill staff positions

Fozz

Never seen the point, in truth it's a feature I'd love if it was more fleshed out but as it is I don't see the point in doing it, especially as in most cases it'll hinder you (not being gold etc). The way it effects your players means you're always hindering your players ability if you haven't got the best you can get. 

In the lower league it does have more worth but on every save I've bothered with coaches I've sorted then out day one and forgot about them. 

Personally I'd love coaches to develop alongside you and leave to become managers/rivals. I've never seen a coach leave, granted I've not had any long saves really but the feature is bland compared to what it could be. 

Tbh I just hate the badge system as it's poor and does little to make each coach their own personality for lack of a better term. You look at area, age and badge and move on. If each coach had stats, traits, preferences or whatever else to make them unique it would be a much better system. I couldn't even name a coach as they're just badges to me, get gold and move on. The only appeal ATM is the name of the person which is just a line of text that does little for me.

Slightly off topic but it's infuriating you can't see a teams coaches on the set up screen. You have to guess what area you want to be and hope it compliments what the club has. The amount of time I've wasted having to sack all the staff and start again or restart the save changing my area because the game doesn't tell you before hand is really annoying. 

The one thing I'd maybe fix the most is being able to scale their coaching aptitude with their mental stats, especially with how the aptitude "stat" is described - well,that and a little more variety in terms of role assignments

Yeah I do my best to fill the staff positions with ex-players - just another way to make the game fun. Off the top of my head Vincent Kompany is my Youth coach and Per Mertesacker is my Physio.

Once you have the mix of gold natural coaches you want, it doesn't make sense to mess with them since there is no further differentiation between them. 

4 hours ago, veerus said:

Once you have the mix of gold natural coaches you want, it doesn't make sense to mess with them since there is no further differentiation between them. 

I understand that, but the way I normally get my gold coaches is by sometimemes using ex/older pros, though it can be hit and miss at times.

In my experience I have normally found an older pro will not progress beyond silver, and in some circumstances when a player retires they will always stay silver.

In my opinion it adds something to the game for me, but it can be massively improved which is where I agree with @Ashez