Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat What makes you give up on a save?

So, as the title asks, what makes you give up on a save?

I've just entered my third season as Everton, winning the League Cup and the Premier League title in my second, but crashing out in the Europa League semis and losing the FA Cup final. I've also just taken on the Ireland manager's job and have had an unbeaten start to the season. However, I can't muster up the enthusiasm to carry on going.

Does that sound like you? Do you lose enthusiasm? Or what else makes you quit?

I always set a very clear aim before I start any save. Without it, like you, I won't get past the 2nd or 3rd season. And I need to be super enthusiastic about the challenge or I know it'll be short-lived. Also, posting it here and seeing all the comments and support helps a great deal.

Like wise to Bati all my saves have an end goal in mind, I can't just play for the sake of playing and anytime I do the save rarely makes it outside the transfer window. Then once a save is started and I'm invested in it posting it on Vibe and seeing people react and support your ideas is what pushes you on to see the save to the end. Seriously I can not encourage playing challenges and posting them enough, it's a game changer. 

Due to this most my dropped saves are due to the save not interesting me as I hoped, the idea isn't possible on that attempt or in general or i'm just not feeling it. 

Interesting - what makes you say you cant just play for the sake of playing?

(no ulterior motive for the question, just interested!)

1 hour ago, Mollers01 said:

Interesting - what makes you say you cant just play for the sake of playing?

(no ulterior motive for the question, just interested!)

If I just try and play for fun I can't, I've had hardly any saves with the intention of keeping them to myself. Posting the career and playing a save go hand in hand to me, I see no point in playing the game if i'm not making a career out of it. I'd rather play something else or do something else than just play FMM. 

In gaming in general I like games with a defined end, games like Minecraft I can mess around with but I'd not go back to them once I'd had my fill as the aim of playing for playings sake just doesn't appeal to me personally. I like finishing things I guess so open ended games need a purpose to me, as FMM is pretty open ended with unlimited possibilities I tend to create my own terms of completion. These give the game meaning and give me a reason to play. 

Being successful on FMM means nothing to me tbh, you can only win a title so many times. So many new career posters come here and say they started playing the challenges as the game got dull, I guess I've been in that mindset for like 5 years already lol. 

I think @Ashez has covered most of my points here really, but I can't see myself playing a save where it's not on Vibe. The longest save I have had is to about 2030 and that was last year when I had no idea about this place. Posting here really drives you on to play more and immerses you in the story, and writes its own story sometimes, as Ashez's Lower League Rogue career has shown us with Mansfield. 

I have a bit of gaming ADD so I tend to bounce from game to game pretty frequently. I started a career thread here to keep me going and I must say it had worked. I know updates are slow but they would've likely been even slower if I wasn't writing about it. 

Also, sometimes it's a simple time commitment issue between family, TV or other games. 

Another thing I should mention, to the newer/younger players among us, is the habit of reloading for quick success. It's the best way to kill off any save. I did my fair bit as a rookie manager but success became short-lived and the game boring as a result. Even a hard-fought loss tastes 10x better than a pre-determined win.

Winning absolutely everything becomes dull and kills off my interest little by little. I'd say that other games are also a contributing factor in me playing less.