Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndersJ

The Forgotten Paninis - 5 Smaller Italian Clubs to Be

The Forgotten Paninis

Image result for panini conte lecce

When i was young collecting Panini cards was the big thing. I had no Ipad, Iphone or even a computer. But we had an old tv where I could see football from Italy and Spain. The teams I watched the most in Spain was the magicians from Barcelona and Real Madrid, but also teams like Salamanca and Albacete really caught my eye, but that’s another story. This is PANINITIME. I don’t know if it was the grease in their hair, or the colours on the cards, but I loved collecting those cards from Italy - and of course dream that I was Marco Van Basten when I played with my friends.

Image result for marco van basten panini milan

Thinking back, the older boys surely didn’t make a fair trade with me in terms of exchanging paninis, but I still remember it as a great time in my childhood. Some teams I liked simply because of their colours, others because of their style of play. The first was their style of play. Zeman was their manager and we all know that means attack, attack and attack. I here give you 5 teams you could choose to manage in FM. Give it a go and bring glory back to their part of Italy.

1. Foggia
FORZA FOGGIA! In this community I have recently joked about Foggia Calcio ( newly promoted to serie B ) and my old love for them. Former stars such as russian Shalimov, Baiano and striker Signori. They have gone bankrupt two times in their history, but how about becoming their new manager ? They are currently in Serie C/C, but next season they are in Serie B.

Club Information

Founded: Foggia were founded in 1920

Success: Under Zeman they created the attacking football all wanted to see, and a style of play Zeman since has made his trademark. 

Tragedies: Poor financial control, and allegedly tried to bribe the referee when they last visited Serie A, which caused uproar in Italian football. 

IMG_2299.thumb.PNG.fd541897ffd8b4837118631f5c24e192.PNG

The Board expects promotion, but be aware, although your squad have okay players, the training facilities are poor.
Here are som of the 3 best players in the squad and the whole squad.

IMG_2300.thumb.PNG.2eca0ac2489ce9ad34e0326614c65e5d.PNGIMG_2301.thumb.PNG.3251c398b975acec871e4cd3e2444ccf.PNGIMG_2302.thumb.PNG.36fa44c99f872cfe3c48fe76a13765ce.PNG
IMG_2303.thumb.PNG.7f9e6abbbe0396971f4729e1a4b28a32.PNG

There are alot of young players from age 17-18, but you will need to upgrade the squad to be promoted.

2. Lecce
Lecce have been in the top flight more than one time and now has fallen through the leagues, do you want to promote the club with former stars such as Vucinic, Popescu, Oddo, Pellé and least of all this fine young footballer. They are currently in Serie C/C also

Club Information:

Founded: Lecce were founded in 1908. 

Success: promotion to Serie A a couple.

Tragedies: Found guilty of match fixing.

IMG_2294.thumb.PNG.81147ff5d2df42ad5130285679785cca.PNG

The Board expects promotion and rightfully so, the squad seems above average and will only need small improvement.

IMG_2296.thumb.PNG.cb6551f991a95c01f3f640ae485bfdfc.PNGIMG_2298.thumb.PNG.afdbed977394e16e67c13870194bfb24.PNGIMG_2297.thumb.PNG.029be5b8d82480e0a5395b673147de4e.PNG

the whole squad

IMG_2295.thumb.PNG.d56db9800fbc08f2d8767ec7307c913e.PNG

3. Reggina

The club have spent 9 seasons with the best, but are now in Serie C/C together with Foggia and Lecce. Reggina have a great stadium and a lot of history. Can you get the old team back where it belongs ?
Club Information
Founded: Reggina were founded in 1914

Success: promoted to the Serie A in 1999.

Tragedies: Being part of the Serie A scandal in 2006 and deducted 15 points.

IMG_2289.thumb.PNG.d0564ac0790920c4d59f02e1977b9894.PNG

The Board expects promotion, but be aware, although your squad have some okay players, it needs improvement asap unless your are running a youth club.

IMG_2291.thumb.PNG.8f83ad92f5b6989bc95417b2aaf3c345.PNGIMG_2292.thumb.PNG.79458d5c561109ef0e08d44ce92136d2.PNGIMG_2293.thumb.PNG.6623a16d5ba9fa8585bdb4d96afe868b.PNG

Here is the squad with okay defensive players, but it needs improvement asap in the last third.

IMG_2290.thumb.PNG.f4bffd297a241dc2b1c86b4d457b383f.PNG

4. Parma Calcio
Parma Calcio - no need for further introduction. The club had superb players when they played their best football with Buffon, Thuram, Veron, Crespo and so on - can you create a dream team once again? You find Parma in Serie C/B.

Club Information
Founded: Parma were founded in 1913

Success: Although Parma never won a domestic league title and never competed for major trophies until the 1990s, it won three Coppa Italia, one Supercoppa Italiana, two UEFA Cups, one European Super Cup and one UEFA Cup Winners' Cup. 

Tragedies: The main sponsor for the team Parmalat, went bankrupt in 2003 and therefor the club was in financial trouble til 2007. In 2015 the finally went bankrupt.

IMG_2304.thumb.PNG.86486524f3e9e5fa006507b331eebf48.PNG

The Board expects to win it all, and with the best budget of the five, you really have no excuses.

IMG_2308.thumb.PNG.73fa58049400a1abd8215dfd4f9e3719.PNGIMG_2307.thumb.PNG.b6b924c53d6a7ce30a11c97fc44d7e73.PNGIMG_2306.thumb.PNG.18e2471b2fdc81a93a07e8aa88ad4b54.PNG

Some in the squad are searching for the wheelchair, but they should could secure you promotion in the first try.

IMG_2305.thumb.PNG.0edc0cf0a000db9b72e85d682abd23a2.PNG

5. Cremonese
Last but not least, I give you my personal most missed italian club, Cremonese from Serie C/A. The red and grey colours….well eye candy they are not, but the former players say it all, Favalli, Chiesa and Gianlucaaaaaa VIALLI. You can sit on your arse and see the grey and red blinks when they just trash the opposition on their way to the Serie A again.

Club Information
Founded : Cremonese were founded in 1903

Success: Won the Anglo-italian Cup beating Derby County at Wembley in 1992/1993.

Tragedies: The colours of their badge!

IMG_2285.thumb.PNG.858f0eb19382a831b676899c2cb6b63c.PNG

The Board expects promotion, you have an okay squad for this goal, but less finances than Parma fx.

IMG_2286.thumb.PNG.dc8d8ce9d68e1d6619af8be35bafc6ab.PNGIMG_2287.thumb.PNG.9fc005e2480cd6e001d3972f61a4c6ac.PNGIMG_2288.thumb.PNG.4b898abc645ad8a0cd92fdad36a62baf.PNG

As you can see finally some attacking and creative force to use, but still room for improvement in the squad as a whole.

IMG_2284.thumb.PNG.2a35f0bea929713bb8109712579563ed.PNG

To Finish….

Hope you got inspired to choose differently next time you start a new career.
A huge thanks to @mcandrew003 for helping me with the layout and setup of this article.

Best regards Anders.

Just now, mcandrew003 said:

That looks a lot better mate, nice work! 

Im more happy with now too, so it was in its place with the great feedback :)

Great article! I've been looking into Italy to take a lower league team to eventually overtake Juventus. I was thinking Venezia but I might look into these! Thanks for posting! 

38 minutes ago, CmonJustTheTip said:

Great article! I've been looking into Italy to take a lower league team to eventually overtake Juventus. I was thinking Venezia but I might look into these! Thanks for posting! 

Yes that is my thought too, and thanks that means a lot :)!

Massively improved and way more on topic than the original work. Taking real life content and blending it into FMM can be tough but with practice you pick up a habit of being able to do it with ease and this is a excellent first attempt. This article is now showcasing clubs in game and in real life so you managed to pull it off, great work mate. 

7 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Massively improved and way more on topic than the original work. Taking real life content and blending it into FMM can be tough but with practice you pick up a habit of being able to do it with ease and this is a excellent first attempt. This article is now showcasing clubs in game and in real life so you managed to pull it off, great work mate. 

Thank you very very much! That means a whole lot ! This is the start of a couple of articles from me over time and i will take all your advice and see how i best can improve. On the matter of real life in the combo with FMM thats really what i love about this game. Interacting as the manager of the more or less forgotten clubs. An theese clubs are in my perspective, overseen, as Juve and Serie A way to often are chosen over the "smaller" clubs. 

11 minutes ago, Stam said:

Thanks for taking the advice and rewriting this piece.

You did a good job! Looking forward to your next one :) 

Of course, i left out the most importaint part - the community here ? So thanks for guiding me ?

Mate this is a fantastic piece! Loved panini myself as a young boy, there's something special about the beautiful Italian game of yesteryear! Don't know why but Lecce always caught my eye, probably the bright yellow ?

7 minutes ago, Niall C said:

Great article. I remember managing lecce in a save years ago, may have to revisit them. Keep up the good work

Big words from a big manager - Thank you very much Sir Alex ??

Memories. 

These panini stickers back in the day sure played their part in how I approach 99% of my challenges and careers nowadays. The very early editions were simple stickers with little information about player, club and country. But as the years passed these stickers turned cards with a lovely little biography / club history or player description on the back. Assist and goal stats were included on the special cards. It was pre-internet so I did what I had to to get my hands on those limited paninis and read the details over and over again till I remembered it all. There were cards with a logo, a flag, a stadium. I've loved reading the background stories on clubs and players ever since.

My FMM challenges are no different. Before I embark on an adventure I read up on club and players and it works so incredibly motivating. It adds that little extra to each career and the determination to succeed. It generally makes for a better share since we're so much more involved. So thank you panini for teaching me how to enjoy the game of football today a little more.

And thanks AndersJ for the reminder ;)

Great comment mate and of course i share your little history with theese paninis :) i will deffinately embark on an italian adventure in the nearest future ?

Great stuff @AndersJ 

But you missed out my favourite ever FMH/M club Pro Vercelli :-(

They dominated Italian football back in 1900's but fell from grace and never came back but now sit in serie B after fighting their way up the League ladder

There were so many clubs i could have picked from the lower italian leagues, so yes i did miss some of them :) did you try to manage them or any other league side? Its actually quite fun ?

4 hours ago, PaulyNapoli said:

Great challenge. Like this. Foggia also has the 'challenge' of making Vincenzo Sarno the star he was supposed to be. 

Thank you very much for the comment - maybe next time you can help me with my italian research :)

1 hour ago, AndersJ said:

Thank you very much for the comment - maybe next time you can help me with my italian research :)

What was I not good enough? :P

Only kidding, I suppose I didn't really help with the research. 

2 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

What was I not good enough? :P

Only kidding, I suppose I didn't really help with the research. 

Haha McModerator you know you were good enough, i just heard him say that he maybe actually know something very specific and THATS is great :)!