Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
samhardy

Juventus team guide

Juventus' crest

Brief history of Juventus

Founded under the name Sport-Club Juventus, initially as an athletics club, Juventus have played uninterruptedly in Serie A since its debut in 1900, with the exception of the 2006/07 season due to the scandal that rocked Italian football. They have been managed by the industrial Agnelli family between 1923 and 1943, and since 1947. Juventus established themselves as a major force at national level in the 1930s and at European level in the 1970s.

Under the management of Giovanni Trapattoni, Juventus won thirteen trophies in the ten years before 1986, including six league titles and five international titles, and became the first club to win all three competitions organised by UEFA: the European Champions' Cup, Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Cup. With successive triumphs in the 1984 European Super Cup and 1985 Intercontinental Cup, the club become the first in the world to complete a clean sweep of all confederation trophies.

Juventus are the most successful club in Italian football, having won sixty-three trophies, more than any other club in Italy, including a record thirty-three official league titles, a record twelve Coppa Italia titles, a record seven Supercoppa Italiana titles, two Intercontinental Cups, two European Champion Clubs' Cup/UEFA Champions Leagues, one European Cup Winners' Cup, three UEFA Cups, two UEFA Super Cups and one UEFA Intertoto Cup. It ranks fourth in Europe and eighth in the world for most trophies won.

The club's fan base is the largest at national level and one of the largest worldwide. It is widely supported throughout the Italian Peninsula and Italian diaspora. The club's contribution to the national team led to the Azzurri's World Cup triumphs of 1934, 1982 and 2006.

--------------------

In FMM

This guide is written loading Italy only. It is completely your preference when selecting how many leagues you wish to load, but simply because there is more youth players when loading Italy only is why I went for this.

HlM8kuQ.png

qPUSoOP.png

Unsurprisingly, given the great success of the club, the only expectation the board has is for great success in every area. It is undeniable that there's a lot of pressure on managing a club of its size, but with the extremely well balanced, talented squad along with the large £82M transfer budget the task is certainly made a lot easier as you attempt to achieve instant success with Juventus and stake a claim to win every competition you enter, if that's the type of save you're after. The club is in a fantastic financial position and you'll never be short of funds when managing Juventus.

--------------------

The squad (Recommend starting XI in bold)

Goalkeepers

Gianluigi Buffon - There is not a lot to be said about this man, he has had one hell of a career. But he's not finished just yet for you in game. The Italian legend is still a world class keeper at the start of the game and should be your undisputed first choice for the first couple of seasons you are at the helm. Neither of the other goalkeepers at the club are anywhere near his standard and you are lucky to have a player of such quality between the sticks. Will obviously need replacing in a couple of seasons, but before then, can you get this man the Champions League title he deserves before he retires?

Nicola Leali - Nothing special and will never be, or even anywhere near good enough to play for Juventus. He shouldn't even really be trusted to be a back up to Buffon as amongst other things he is incredibly slow off the line, uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and is poor with his distribution. At only 23 years old you may wish to give him a couple of years to see if he improves but trust me, it's not worth waiting for. Sell before he starts rotting in the reserves making his value go down dramatically.

Neto - Whilst also having poor distribution and a poor technique, it'll be the 26 year old Brazillian who will be sitting on your bench this season if you don't wish to purchase a better keeper in the transfer window. Don't get me wrong, he's not that bad of a keeper as he has a fair spread of stats and could probably do a job for a mid table Serie A team, but along with Leali he's not good enough for Juventus. You'll have two choices with Neto: keep him as the backup to Buffon in the first couple of seasons hence saving yourself having to buy a keeper early in your reign, or demote him to 3rd choice whilst bringing a younger, more promising player in. I'd recommend the latter as it's always vital to have a backup keeper you can trust.

Defenders

Leonardo Bonucci - Juventus have one of the best, if not the best defence in world football and their 3 at the back system has become synonymous to everyone who watches them play. Bonucci is simply a world class defender that will put in consistently brilliant performances for you for the next 5-6 years. At 29 years of age he is in his prime at the start of the game and doesn't really possess any weaknesses. He has quality positioning, is very strong in the tackle and can also pick out a pass from almost anywhere on the pitch. As far as ball playing defenders go, they don't come much better than Bonucci.

Giorgio Chiellini - One of the most consistent centre backs in Europe over the past 8-10 years, Chiellini will be able to replicate this for you in FMM and is the perfect compliment to the stylish playing style of Bonucci. He has fantastic physical stats which are always the most important stats on a player profile, great positioning, is strong in the tackle and most importantly of all he turns up in the big matches. Personally I would stick to playing him as a central defender but it's personal preference on whether you want more than one BPD in your backline. At 31 he is getting on a bit but will still be top quality for at least the next 3 seasons.

Andrea Barzagli - You can always tell the strength of a team's defence when a player of Barzagli's quality has to be left out. A Juventus regular in real life, FMM surprisingly have him as slightly under par in relation to what you may be expecting. Obviously at 35 he lacks a bit of pace and is also beginning to be uncomfortable on the ball which is not what the Juventus back line needs. He can still do a job for you if one of the main men suffer an injury or a drop of form, and some managers might want to select him over the on loan Benatia, but in my opinion in FMM terms he Barzagli does not warrant a place in the Juventus starting XI.

Medhi Benatia (on loan from Bayern) -  This may be a surprise to a few with him only being on loan at the club but one look at his stats should be enough for any manager worth his salt to realise you need to make the most of him for the one season that you have him (unless you choose to purchase him at the end of it). With 17 aerial ability, decisions and positioning alongside a maximum 20 for tackling and top quality physicals it is hard to see why Bayern have let him go on loan to one of their European rivals. Play him as the right sided centre half in the back three and he completes one of the best defences in game in the first season.

Daniele Rugani - Where do all of these quality centre backs come from? It is very likely that Rugani will be a direct replacement for one of the ageing guys in a few seasons time as he also has the potential to become a world class defender. He has a great spread of stats, has great positioning, thrives in the big matches and is extremely rarely injured. It's safe to say that the future of Juve's defence is in safe hands. Nurture him in the first few seasons by either sending him out on loan or if not ensure he gets enough game time to not stifle his development and ensure he is ready when called upon in the near futute.

Daniel Alves - Onto the wing backs now and the RWB position is your first real selection dilemma as manager of Juventus. You are blessed with two very experienced yet top quality players in that position and it in truth it could go either way and goes mainly down to personal preference. There is no doubt that Alves is still a world class performer having moved from Barcelona at the start of the season, however as his age increases unfortunately the all important physical stats go in the other direction. Would walk into the team of almost any club in Europe and probably will be the more popular choice for most managers in FMM, I just prefer the more consistent performances of Lichtsteiner. The last point to make is that it's likely he'll only last another couple of seasons at the top level.

Stephan Lichtsteiner - An extremely solid right wing back and can play anywhere up the right hand side of the pitch. In the couple of successful save I've had with Juventus, Stephan (typing his surname continuously is a bit of a chore), has outperformed Alves when called upon and always ends up being my first choice. He also gives FMM legend Alex Sandro a run for his money on the other side of the pitch. The Juventus defence is full of consistent performers and Stephan is no exception, he also has great physicals along with positioning and loves to bomb up the right hand side and get himself a few goals and assists every season. Is extremely good at crossing. It seems that he is also quite late to decline, earlier on in the year I had a 37 year old Lichtsteiner still performing at the top level week in week out.

Federico Mattiello - The third right back at the club and the weakest by a considerable margin. Mattiello can also do a job on the left hand side of defence but that really doesn't cover the fact that he will be average at best in the future. He has quite a high value at the start so you may wish to sell but the more sensible option would probably be to keep him as cover for Alex Sandro instead of wasting money on a backup left back which you don't really need to do in the first transfer window you have at the club. My recommendation would be for him to stay at the club. Just.

Alex Sandro - Anyone who has played the FMM series for a while will know this guy as a legend of the game from back in his Porto days. He was the go to left back in any save and could be picked up really cheaply. Having being disappointed by him in last year's edition it was a pleasant surprise to see him back as a world class player this year. The ultimate attacking wing back, he is a dream to have on the left hand side of defence with his pace and strength as well as his pinpoint crossing. One of the first names on the team sheet to be perfectly honest and the real unsung hero of the Juventus side in game. You may wish to put him on corners as he seems to have provided a decent amount of assists from them for me in the past.

Midfielders

Rolando Mandragora - An exciting young prospect in the centre of midfield, it's a good idea to try and loan Mandragora out in the first couple of seasons as he won't get a look in early on in your spell as manager. He could be the next Marchisio and has the potential to improve a lot in the future. If possible loan him out to another Serie A side so he gains vital experience in the league but don't sell even if you're tempted to as it could come back to haunt you in the future. Can also play as a holding midfielder and is accomplished as a centre back and unconvincing as a sweeper.

Kwadko Asamoah - Mr. Versatile. One of those players who is a dream to have on the bench as he can be called upon to do a job in almost any position. However he's not just there to play the role of the admirable back up as if anyone of your usual starting XI slip up he's always loitering on the sidelines waiting to snatch someone's place in the lineup. There aren't many players like him about actually: someone that you know will do a job for you anytime he steps out onto the pitch. You'll get nothing spectacular from him but what you will get is constant 7-7-7-7-7 runs of form which is under-appreciated in a lot of manager's eyes.

Sami Khedira - An extremely important player for Juventus in real life however Khedira is one that will divide opinion when it comes to FMM. If you want a more solid and compact central midfield duo then Khedira is the man to go for however with the BWM role not working great this year I personally have preferred the more offensive and stylish duo of Marchisio and Pjanic. However, Khedira is a quality player undeniably, a very strong and experienced player with great physical stats and someone who works very well within a team. Another reason Khedira doesn't make my recommended starting XI is because he tends to struggle with injuries a lot. 

Mario Lemina - This versatile Gabonese international is a handy player to have around in the first couple of seasons and at just 22 years of age is one that will improve drastically in the future. He doesn't have a single stat below 10 and the start of the game and can be deployed in several different roles. That alone means you should have no trouble introducing him into situations and games that will be good for his development and in a couple of seasons time you will have a player battling the main guys in the centre of the park for a place in the starting XI. I wouldn't recommend sending him out on loan; it's probably best for him to stay under your own training methods.

Claudio Marchisio - This fantastic professional has been at Juventus for coming up to 15 seasons now and since arriving in 2003 he has become one of the first names on the teamsheet for several Juventus managers. I would strongly recommend you not to buck this trend as he is an absolutely world class central midfielder, not many people in the football world would argue that. He boasts 54 Italy caps and at 30 years of age you'll still get at least 4 more seasons out of him. He has great technique, can pick a pass from almost anywhere and thrives in the big matches. Just a well rounded central midfielder who can be used in almost any role. Personally I've used him to most success in the box to box midfielder role which compliments Pjanic who's best used as a CM or DLP, deploying Marchisio in this role is handy as one of his traits is that he arrives late in the opposition area meaning you're guaranteed about 10 goals a season from him.

Tomas Rincon - Was signed in the summer from Genoa and to be completely honest I can't understand why. Backup is the only reason that springs to mind but to be honest you might be better off using some of the youngsters as backup and selling Rincon for around £8M. At 28 it's hard to see that value increasing so I'd advise disposing of him within the first couple of seasons. Not good enough for Juventus, it really is as simple as that.

Stefano Sturaro - Pretty much a better, younger and all round more capable version of Rincon. Whilst he is some way of the standard of midfielders such as Marchisio, Khedira and Pjanic he is a good backup option to have as he will improve in the future and can also be used in the holding midfield role to good effectiveness. Great physical stats and a solid technique, in my save which I got 6/7 seasons into he has improved quite a lot and is a good player to have coming off the bench, nothing spectacular but can do a job when called upon. You could probably get around £12M for selling him but to be honest there's not much benefit to come from doing that.

Juan Cuadrado (on loan from Chelsea) - This Colombian winger really is an interesting one. There is no denying that in game, he is a quality winger and would be a major part of a lot of European teams however he is only relevant in your plans if you intend on switching away from Juventus' famous 3 at the back system. He can't really be used anywhere else as he doesn't have the right stats to be deployed as a wing back. If you play a system with inside forwards or wingers then there's no denying that Cuadrado is an important member of the squad, however it's completely up to personal preference. I really don't see the long term benefits of buying him permanently.

Mattia Vitale - A versatile midfielder who will become average at best in the future. Loan him out preferably to a fellow Serie A side in the first couple of seasons and if he's not developing right then it'll be time to move him on for a few million. Will never make it into the full first team squad even though he is fairly well rounded at the start of the game. 

Luca Clemenza - Awful. Sell immediately.

Miralem Pjanic - The perfect compliment in my eyes to Marchisio and a player who for so long has been one of the most solid players in the FMM series. BWM aside he can play every role to great success and boasts some incredible stats which only improve after a couple of seasons after he enters his prime. Great passing and creativity make him a fantastic playmaker and what he lacks in strength he certainly makes up with his decisions on the pitch and his movement. Actually was the runner up in the League POTY two years running in my save when played as a DLP. One of the best footballers at the club - probably should also be your number one choice for direct and indirect freekicks.

Attackers

Marko Pjaca - Looks like an exciting young talent after signing from Dinamo at the start of the season and will only get better. Has some really nice stats at the start of the game for an inside forward and give him a couple of years introducing him into the team every so often and he will bang the goals in left right and centre from the wing. Don't be tempted into selling him with his high value as a few years down the line you won't be able to get anyone much better than him in that role for the same price, especially as Juventus don't traditionally use players of his type. Can be played on either side and has great physical stats, is very rarely injured and turns up in the big matches.

Moise Kean - This 16 year old has been dubbed as the next Balotelli and the game says he "Looks up to Mario Balotelli". Whilst this isn't necessarily a good thing, thankfully Kean has the talent to back this up. He will, guaranteed, be an important member of your first team squad in a few years time, his stats look good at the start but they improve a lot. He's actually a perfect candidate for the 1K challenge. It's rare to see players of his age have such good physical stats and that along with how clinical his finishing is can only bode well for the future. Much like the Juve defence, the attack is pretty much sorted for the short and long term future. You'll just have to hope Kean doesn't start setting off fireworks in his bathroom.

Mario Mandzukic - A very consistent striker who is guaranteed to score goals under any circumstances. Along with being an intelligent player who is a very clinical finisher, his aerial presence along with this strength and stamina make him a good target man to use for him to lay on chances to his team mates. With the defence of Juventus being so strong it allows a more aggressive system to be used and with the passing and creativity of the likes of Pjanic and Dybala there is no-one better suited to the role of finishing and getting on the end of long balls than Mandzukic. Effective penalty taker.

Paulo Dybala - Already a world class player at the start of the game, give him a couple of seasons and he'll become an absolute freak of nature. I'd even go as far as to say he the best striker on the game this year, which is why it would seem illogical that I'm about to suggest playing him behind the two strikers in a sort of triangular front three. He scores goals from anywhere: headers, long range, tap ins, penalties, but he's also the best creator at the club. With two top class finishers at the club already having Dybala behind them all of a sudden makes him the most important player in the team as he's the link between the midfield and the attack. He should be taking penalties, and will score tons of goals and create loads of them too. Will win the WPOTY multiple times during your reign as manager.

Gonzalo Higuain - As if Juventus didn't already have enough attacking talent you then throw into the mix probably the most prolific goalscorer in Serie A. Higuain is a complete, well rounded forward who is wasted playing any other role than a CF. His movement terrorises defenders and his strength as well as his ability in the air make him an absolute nightmare to deal with. Absolutely prolific in front of goal and has a great technique. Quality player.

--------------------

Squad summary 

At Juventus you have a world class squad with a whole wealth of talent that doesn't really have any weak spots. It's a squad that should be instantly competing for every trophy possible both domestically and on the European stage. You will have a world class goalkeeper in Buffon for the first two seasons in charge and a decent back up in Neto. Leali is nowhere near good enough and should be sold immediately, whilst you should look to bring in a young keeper who will become the backup in the short term, demoting Neto to third choice, and be able to be a long term replacement for Buffon.

The defence at Juventus is probably the best in the game. You probably won't need to buy a centre half in your first 5 years at the club unless you choose to make Benatia a permanent purchase. With the current central defenders being Bonucci - Chiellini - Benatia - Barzagli - Rugani you can't really go wrong. There are a couple of solid right backs at the club at the start of the game so that position is absolutely fine as well. Alex Sandro is the only natural left back at the club so that might have to be addressed although it isn't a priority with Mattiello being able to fill in. A replacement may be on the cards for him though if there is one going cheap; there's no need to splash the cash with Sandro already at the club.

There is enough talent in the midfield to get you through the first few seasons until the main guys start to come towards the end of their careers. Nothing is needed transfer wise really unless you intend on playing wide midfielders in which case a winger may be helpful. Once again though that isn't a priority and in the midfield there is a nice mix of youth and experience that is always a good thing to have in a squad.

Up front there are three world class strikers in Mandzukic, Dybala and Higuain with another coming through the ranks in Balotelli Jr. Nothing at all is required in terms of change here and you should be thoroughly entertained watching that front three bang in goal after goal on a consistent basis.

There are also some talented players out on loan from Juventus; most notably Kingsley Coman who is at Bayern and will make a real impact when he returns from that loan spell as an inside forward or a striker. You also have the useless bastard Simone Zaza upfront and another talented central defender in Mattia Caldara who is on loan at Atalanta. Pol Lirola is a promising right back who has the potential to be the long term replacement for Alves/Lichtsteiner.

------------------

Potential transfers in

In the first transfer window there are only two positions that really need adding two and they are both for back up purposes only (for the first season anyway). The goalkeeper is a very important signing as the one you choose will also be Buffon's long term replacement. Starting with the goalkeeper, here are a few I would recommend after buying them for Juventus in the past:

• Gianluigi Donnarumma, 17 years old, A.C Milan 

- An extremely obvious choice but he should be made the number one transfer target in the first transfer window. Not only is he one of the best wonderkids on the game, but he also weakens a domestic rival in A.C Milan. Is available for between £25-30M and will be worth every penny in a few seasons time. Will be the number one for a couple of decades probably.

• Bartlomiej Dragowski, 18 years old, Fiorentina

- A much cheaper option than Donnarumma but nevertheless would still be an extremely good option to take up. He has great potential and seems to have everything it takes to be successful at the top level. Don't let his cheap price tag fool you into thinking he's not as effective as other options.

• Marco Sportiello, 24 years old, Atalanta

- At first glance his stats don't look too great but under the right training regime he get turn into a top quality keeper. One for those managers who don't like to just buy players who they know will turn into superstars every save. Better than the the current two backup keepers at the club.

Left back

• Saed Kolasinac, 23 years old, Schalke 04

- Avaliable for just £11M you can't really go wrong with getting this guy as a back up. Outstanding physical stats as well as others that are key to a successful wing back such as tackling, crossing and positioning. A very wise bit of business.

• Aly Cissokho, 28 years old, Aston Villa

- No point in spending big on an Alaba style left back when you're only buying for back up reasons. This guy fits the bill perfectly and whilst not as good as Kolasinac, he is available for a few million cheaper.

Transfers Out 

You should look for a new club immediately for the following players:

• Nicola Leali
  • Tomas Rincon
  • Luca Clemenza

--------------------

Tactics

I've banged on a lot about Juventus' famous system so here are some tactics I've used to success with the Italian giants.

Option One - 5-3-2

bYxJZz0.png

My edited take on the traditional Juventus system that has worked so well in recent years. When using this I won 6 consecutive Serie A titles and 4 out of 6 Champions Leagues.

Option Two - 4-1-2-2-1

Arw9acS.png

The variant for managers who are more interested in using wide attackers rather than wing backs.

--------------------

Player Roles

• Captain - Gianluigi Buffon
  • Vice Captain - Giorgio Chiellini OR Claudio Marchisio
  • Penalties - Paulo Dybala, Mario Mandzukic, Gonzalo Higuain
  • Free kicks - Miralem Pjanic, Paulo Dybala
  • Corners - Alex Sandro, Miralem Pjanic

--------------------

Summary

With Juventus you are guaranteed an entertaining save with a world class squad that should be instantaneously battling for titles both domestically and on the European stage. With a solid defence, creative midfield and a free scoring strike trio alongside a squad with no real weaknesses, I find the Old Lady one of the most enjoyable teams to manage on the game. As a side challenge, can you manage to replicate the famous Juve style of football and get Gianluigi Buffon the Champions League he deserves before hanging up his boots?

Very in depth enjoyable guide mate, the only one thing I would do differently is get rid of Kwadwo Asamoah as in my experience he's quite injury prone and therefore unreliable

Wonderful work Sam, simple yet a lot of depth, well done. I think the amount of quality at Juve goes under the radar somewhat so great idea to bring it to everyone's attention :). 

Absoloutley quality guide, the depth you go into is incredible! Love the different sections of this and can't imagine how much effort you put in. Nice work! 

Great read, Love the depth and the info on each player as well as the recommendations on starting xi. keep it up.

I am juve fans too buddy. I was played juve so many times. I agreed with your tactic. But we have big problem about marchisio as BBM. His stamina and aggression is  not enough for this role. He always less energy on 60' minutes.