Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic 2 mins Silence

callum

Today's 2 minute silence was totally ruined by the trumpet player's cock up right at the end of the first bugle horn. I didn't laugh, but a load of people started to do so <_< I was just thinking "so he cocked up, get over it."

It is respectful to have a 2 minute silence at the exact time they signed the armistice to call of WW1

They called of the war at the 11.11.1918 at 11 O Clock

It is respectful to have a 2 minute silence at the exact time they signed the armistice to call of WW1

They called of the war at the 11.11.1918 at 11 O Clock

The treaty was signed the night before and was agreed to begin at 11 o'clock the next morning (to have the symbolic 11.11). They also agreed that from 08.00 till 11.00, they would be allowed to get rid of their ammunition (this means shooting at everything that moves).

At 11.11, I commemorate the fallen and deeply resent the ones who signed the treaty.

Today's 2 minute silence was totally ruined by the trumpet player's cock up right at the end of the first bugle horn. I didn't laugh, but a load of people started to do so <_< I was just thinking "so he cocked up, get over it."

Laughter is an uncontrollable emotion

They shall grow not old

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

From Laurence Binyon's poem For the Fallen, written in September 1914

They shall grow not old

We will remember them.

I read that poem in our school play ;)

What's the point in holding a 2min silence anyway?

Lets hold a 2minute silence for the deceased factory workers in China, or the dead coal miners - both have contributed just as much, if not significantly more to us than the soldiers ever did.

We have a 2 minute silene as it is respectful

They shall grow not old

We will remember them.

Are you sure?

The war ended in 1918

What he is trying to say is that it would be respectful to have 2 minutes silence for the miners etc too.

Exactly, I don't mind holding a 2min silence (despite my strong anti-war stance) as long as other groups that are just as important to industrialised, globalised, countries such as ours.

My initial post was deliberately a bit controversial in order to stir up debate, apologies if it offended someone (although you are oversensitive if that's the case :-P)

In Flanders Fields

by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

WE SHALL NOT SLEEP,

THOUGH POPPIES GROW

IN FLANDERS FIELD.

What he is trying to say is that it would be respectful to have 2 minutes silence for the miners etc too.

Exactly, I don't mind holding a 2min silence (despite my strong anti-war stance) as long as other groups that are just as important to industrialised, globalised, countries such as ours.

My initial post was deliberately a bit controversial in order to stir up debate, apologies if it offended someone (although you are oversensitive if that's the case :-P)

We hold a 2 minute silence to commemorate that thousands of soldiers died, trying to keep the freedom of their families alive. To think about what would've been if they hadn't fallen for us. The miners etc, are commemorated on other days. This day should be only for the fallen in order to prevent new wars from happening.

War is necessary. I mostly detest those who have this whole anti-war stance. They are in the same vein as those who want extra rights and protection for every race under the sun even if they break UK law. BUT THINK OF THEIR RIGHTS? Piss off.

You wouldn't enjoy your freedom today if it wasn't for our soldiers who'll be a damn sight braver than I could ever be and I'm willing to bet you as well.

You cannot reason with a dictator and that is why it is sometimes forced to engage in combat.